Main project: Insurance Contract Law
Current project status
The current status of this project is: Analysis of responses.
List of project stages:
- Analysis of responses
- Initiation: Could include discussing scope and terms of reference with lead Government Department
- Pre-consultation: Could include approaching interest groups and specialists, producing scoping and issues papers, finalising terms of project
- Consultation: Likely to include consultation events and paper, making provisional proposals for comment
- Policy development: Will include analysis of consultation responses. Could include further issues papers and consultation on draft Bill
- Reported: Usually recommendations for law reform but can be advice to government, scoping report or other recommendations
We consulted on insurable interest in the summer of 2015. We expect to report later in the year.
In March 2015, we published an issues paper seeking views on updated proposals. We had consulted on insurable interest twice before: in an Issues Paper in 2008, and as part of our 2011 Consultation Paper: Insurance Contract Law: Post Contract Duties and other Issues.
Our updated and simplified proposals were well supported. A summary of responses is available below.
We are now conducting a short consultation exercise on a draft Bill designed to give effect to our proposals. The consultation will close on Friday 20 May 2016.
For interested stakeholders, we have also published a paper on parametric insurances, setting out our understanding of the interaction between these products and our insurable interest proposals. We would welcome comments on this.
We expect to report later this year. We hope that the resulting Bill will be suitable for the special parliamentary procedure for uncontroversial Law Commission bills.
Area of law
Commercial and common law