Current project status
The current status of this project is: Complete.
List of project stages:
- Analysis of responses
- Initiation: Could include discussing scope and terms of reference with lead Government Department
- Pre-consultation: Could include approaching interest groups and specialists, producing scoping and issues papers, finalising terms of project
- Consultation: Likely to include consultation events and paper, making provisional proposals for comment
- Policy development: Will include analysis of consultation responses. Could include further issues papers and consultation on draft Bill
- Reported: Usually recommendations for law reform but can be advice to government, scoping report or other recommendations
This project is complete. Our recommendations have been implemented
In this project we:
- reviewed Part X of the Companies Act 1985, with a view to considering how the provisions could be simplified and modernised, and
- considered the case for a statutory statement of the duties owed by directors to their company under the general law, including their fiduciary duties and their duty of care.
This project was informed by a report on the duties of company directors from the ESRC Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
This was a joint project with the Scottish Law Commission.