Conspiracy to Defraud
Current project status
The current status of this project is: Complete.
List of project stages:
- Analysis of responses
- Initiation: Could include discussing scope and terms of reference with lead Government Department
- Pre-consultation: Could include approaching interest groups and specialists, producing scoping and issues papers, finalising terms of project
- Consultation: Likely to include consultation events and paper, making provisional proposals for comment
- Policy development: Will include analysis of consultation responses. Could include further issues papers and consultation on draft Bill
- Reported: Usually recommendations for law reform but can be advice to government, scoping report or other recommendations
This project is complete.
We announced in November 1994 our intention to embark on a comprehensive review of offences of dishonesty, including those created by the Theft Acts 1968 and 1978.
We concluded in December 1994 that, for practical reasons conspiracy to defraud performs a useful role in the existing law of dishonesty, and that it should remain intact pending our comprehensive review of the law. We make one minor recommendation for reform of the law relating to the dishonest obtaining of loans by deception
Area of law