Current project status
The current status of this project is: Complete.
List of project stages:
- Analysis of responses
- Initiation: Could include discussing scope and terms of reference with lead Government Department
- Pre-consultation: Could include approaching interest groups and specialists, producing scoping and issues papers, finalising terms of project
- Consultation: Likely to include consultation events and paper, making provisional proposals for comment
- Policy development: Will include analysis of consultation responses. Could include further issues papers and consultation on draft Bill
- Reported: Usually recommendations for law reform but can be advice to government, scoping report or other recommendations
This project is complete. Our recommendations were implemented by the Criminal Justice Act 2003 (c44)
A project to review the need for reform of two distinct but related rules: the rule against double jeopardy, and the rule that the Crown cannot appeal against an acquittal even if it results from an erroneous ruling by the judge.
Area of law